• 12.15.2008 No Comments

    This weekend, I purchased a couple more gallons of adhesive remover, and went to town.  The stuff is pretty expensive (25 bucks a gallon), and I probably will get one more gallon to finish areas that didn’t get clean.  So, it’s 100 bucks just to remove all the old flooring, but it will be worth it to ensure that the tile will adhere solidly for many years to come and will save me from the backbreaking work of scraping more and more.

    Floor after one gallon of adhesive remover

    Floor after one gallon of adhesive remover

    As you can tell, the remover works exceptionally well.  However, i missed the edges and in some areas the leftover pad and adhesive was too thick to remove with one coat.

    Floor after three gallons of adhesive remover

    Floor after three gallons of adhesive remover

    This is 75 bucks worth of clean.  You can’t see the whole room from this picture, but it is pretty large.  It is about 180 square feet.  So if I get one more gallon, I can brush it onto the areas that were previously missed and hopefully be left with a concrete-only floor.

    The guy who has been working on the ceiling and walls has finished his work as well.  I plan to (along with my mom and sister) get the priming done today so that it will be ready for painting.  I have guitar practice on Tuesday and youth on Wednesday, so I’m hoping to get the painting done by Thursday/Friday.  Which will mean the tiling can start this weekend!  It’s going to be cutting it close… but hopefully it will all be done before Christmas dinner.

    Tags:

  • 12.12.2008 3 Comments

    For some reason, our family has had a recent tradition of wanting to take on some gigantic home improvement task around the holidays.  Last year, it was tiling the floor of a bathroom, the year before it was redoing the walls in that bathroom, and the year before that it was painting interior rooms.  The summer before that was repainting the outside of the house.

    This year is no exception.  Several years back, my parents’ had the foundation of the house propped up.  In the dining room, the ceiling had a severe crack that caused a whole section of sheetrock to hang down an inch.  There were also several cracks in the walls.  And the floor felt like it was crumbling beneath your feet.  Well, my mom decides it’s time to fix the room.  So she hires a guy to rehang the drywall, patch the cracks in the walls, and remove some really old and peeling wallpaper.  To do all this, everything had to be removed from the room.  This meant it was a prime time to also re-do the floor.

    So I pulled up the 30 year old carpet, and was greeted with a carpet pad that was completely glued to the concrete floor.

    Removing the Old Carpet

    Removing the Old Carpet

    You can see from the picture (besides my dorkiness) in the background is some parts of the pad that stuck to the concrete.  The black area on the other side of the roll of carpet is the pad that didn’t come up on that end of the room.

    I used a long-handled scraper to remove large chunks of the stuck on pad, but the adhesive was very difficult to remove.  So I purchased some adhesive remover which works fantastically.  I’ve used one gallon and I will need to use two more.  I plan to do that on Saturday or Sunday, to hopefully have a clean concrete floor ready for tiling by early next week.

    In the meantime, we still have to wait on the guy to finish his work. Then we will need to paint the room.  So far, we have not even pulled out any Christmas stuff because there is no room in the other areas of the house to put it since all the dining room stuff is currently out.  When my brother and sister-in-law come in from DC, hopefully we will have things done (or close to it).

    Anyway, things have been stressful lately, but doing something that just requires physical labor is helpful to make me feel productive and get my mind off other things.  I’ll post again when I have a picture of the floor completely cleaned.

    Tags: